To the Cor Deo Community:
We are writing to let you know that Mr. Shuts recently informed the Board of Directors that he has decided to step down from his position as Head of School, effective July 31, 2019. Mr. Shuts’ departure will bring change. However, we will remain focused on the continuing growth and development of our school, and the meaningful impact a Christian liberal arts education has on our students. We will capitalize on new opportunities and build on the solid foundation established by you, our staff and school community. Moreover, our dedicated teachers, who are the heart of The Cor Deo School, will ensure that we continue to provide an excellent education in a caring environment.
Mr. Shuts has served our school, supported by his wife, Nicole, and three children, Luke, Kai, and Hope, for the last six years with dedication and vision. His commitment to The Cor Deo School and the quality of its education has been a steady current, carrying the school’s growth forward. We send Mr. Shuts and his family along with our heartfelt gratitude and best wishes.
The Board of Directors has developed a succession plan, providing for continuity and steady oversight of ongoing school operations. Key components of this plan are:
- Ms. Christine Cohn, our current Assistant Head of School, has been appointed Interim Head of School. Given her service in her current position, Ms. Cohn is well-positioned to continue in the ongoing efforts to prepare for the next school year, as well as in the current work of facilitating the longer-term growth of the school.
- Ms. Michelle Rowland will join the Cor Deo staff as Director of Finance for a twelve-month appointment, leaving her position on the Board. We are actively seeking a replacement for Michelle’s Board position.
- The Board of Directors will have Co-Chairs for the 2019-2020 school year, Dr. Douglas Lane and Ms. Patricia Busick, M.B.A.
- A Curriculum and Academic Development Committee is being mobilized, supporting the Interim Head of School as we work to complete our “kindergarten through twelfth grade” vision.
- Administrative staff will be added to support day-to-day operations and be a consistent presence in the Upper and Lower school offices.
- The Board will continue to work with school staff to develop the Upper School campus at Central Lutheran Church. For the 2019–2020 school year, as a result of continued growth on the First Presbyterian Church campus, fifth grade will move to the Central Lutheran campus, joining grades 6, 7 and 8. We are forming a Facilities Development Committee and are seeking volunteers to join with us in this effort.
- The Board is beginning a national search for a new permanent Head of School. A search committee is being formed and we look forward to inviting our school community into this process.
Over the summer, the Board of Directors has been working to ensure a smooth transition into the new school year. As we move forward, please do not hesitate to contact the co-chairs, or any other Board member, with questions you may have. We will close by citing T.S. Elliot: “What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.”
Patricia Busick, M.B.A. and Douglas Lane, Ph.D.
Board of Directors
The Cor Deo School